Monday, August 27, 2012

Bilbo Baggins is my idol

It’s cold outside. It’s wet. It’s dreary. And it’s only August.

My name is Jolene Almendarez, and I am a transfer student this semester from San Antonio College…in San Antonio, Texas (Duh!).

I am a journalism junior and was lucky enough to land the managing editor position at The Northern Light, UAA’s award winning newspaper, right out of the gate.

What do I have planned for this blog? A whole lot of whining. That’s right. I plan to whine my face off about missing San Antonio, but bear with me for a moment.

I plan to whine my face off because I am in the midst of a mid-twenties life crisis. I bailed on my hometown to try new things, meet new people and start living the adventurous life I was always meant to live! Yeaaaah, maaan!



As it turns out, I’ve discovered that what I really need for my life to operate to my liking is a few delicious bean and cheese tacos, a well-made margarita and sunshine. Go figure.

I find myself loving Anchorage, nonetheless. It is so quaint I can’t quite ignore it, nor can I find the gall to pack the two suitcases I have with my clothes and head back to the south. It’s just too different to not want to explore.

So, you see, I am in a Bilbo Baggins-esque situation. I’m wrapped in the adventure that is Alaska while missing home every day. But I know going home will only make me ache for the adventure.

That’s what you’re in for folks— a lot of whining intermingled with a bit of adventure.

You’re welcome.

J. Almendarez

No comments:

Post a Comment