Tuesday, September 4, 2012

From the editor: Opportunity Rolls

Ever have the urge to grab a hand-full of money, your dog, and laptop and head for the hills?
That was essentially my first week at UAA, except in my case, I wanted to head back to the sunny south.

The entire week was pretty much me realizing I was in the wrong class, being grossed out by food choices on campus and wondering if I was up for the challenge of being managing editor of a completely new staff at The Northern Light.

On Wednesday, I seriously contemplated resigning from my post at the paper, dropping all my classes and trying to get a fall internship in south Texas while I essentially wait out the semester.

Then I realized that while Anchorage is far from my idea of glamorous, crawling back into San Antonio with my pigtails tucked between my legs was somehow just as unappealing.

I am paying for my education at UAA mostly through the generosity of journalism groups and kind people in San Antonio throwing up enough cash to cover most of this semester’s out-of-state tuition.
It’s a hell of a situation to be in—being funded with other people’s money.

As you can see, I’m still here.

But rather than look at that money as manacles chaining me so far away from home, I’ve managed to be reminded that I’m here for opportunity.

The word opportunity; if I could have painted a picture of it before I left home, it would be of a golden arch with a beautiful garden in the distance and a cluster of progressives sipping fine cocktails and talking about the revolution.

If I could paint a picture of what opportunity has actually been so far, it would be of me eating mac’n cheese out of a Tupperware container while sitting on three inches of memory foam that I plan to put on a mattress, should I ever be able to buy one.

I can’t be the only one whose semester started out so horribly.

In fact, I’m sure I’m not. I can tell just by looking at the people around me.

Luckily I have a combination of great friends in the south and Chris Dixon.

Chris Dixon is a writer and photographer. Though I am also pursuing a career in writing and photography, Dixon and I couldn’t be interested in two more different styles.

He covers a lot of feature stories and focuses on non-main stream sports such as mountain biking and surfing.

I write hard news stories about government officials, state funding and higher education. And I’m a lousy photographer.

But he wrote one piece that broke the newsie in me.

It’s called, “Going home. Love and Loss in Georgia.”

I won’t bother you with a complete synopsis of the article. It’s just important you know it’s about going back to where you came from, looking fondly at your past and grabbing life for what it’s worth.

I found the article in a folder I brought to Alaska and cried when I reread it.

It’s now pinned to the wall by my bedroom door.

I was reminded that I don’t HAVE to force myself to believe that being away from home is an adventurous opportunity because it really is one.

I’m not chained to being here. I get to be here.

He ends his article with this, “I suffer no hardships. Opportunity rolls for miles and miles.”

I see it every day when I walk out of my bedroom in the morning.

I miss San Antonio today. I’ll miss it tomorrow. But I’m in Anchorage right now and I’m really excited to be here.

To read the article in its entirety, visit www.chrisdixonreports.com/magazines.htm and scroll to the bottom.

--J. Almendarez

Psssssst - Reading that it’s 97 degrees in San Antonio makes me miss it a little bit less today!


No comments:

Post a Comment