Friday, September 14, 2012

Sarah Frick: Working on the textbook price 'ouch' factor

UAA Students - Help us help faculty help you!

We want your feedback about textbook prices and eTexts!

The Faculty Technology Center is interested in the overall student perspective of eTexts and textbook prices here at UAA. Take this quick survey about e-texts and textbook prices to let us know what you think!

I am a recent graduate of a Masters degree here at UAA, and put eight years between my undergrad and graduate studies. So when I went to purchase my textbooks, I figured some things must have changed since 2002.

Nope. I was still looking at over $100 for each book.



My solution? Look for it in eText. I found I could get the eText version of some books for almost half of the price. The format and software of the eTexts was inconsistent, and not all could be read on my mobile devices, but the cost savings was enough for me to take the time to figure it out. As a bonus, some of my more innovative professors used free materials and eTexts -- and what is called "open source" material.

Now I work at the UAA Faculty Technology Center, assisting faculty with teaching with technology.

As part of that, we research technology trends in education, and have been asked to participate in a national pilot study of eTextbooks for the Fall 2012 semester.

The overall goal is to evaluate the effectiveness of eTexts in higher education and to test new models of textbook delivery.

UAA is included in 25 colleges and universities providing eTexts FREE to their students this fall semester as part of the pilot, thanks to support from the University of Alaska Statewide Office of Information Technology. View the most recent Press Release from Sept. 4, 2012 or learn more at UAA's eText Pilot Website or Internet2 eText Pilot Website.

No comments:

Post a Comment