Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Theresa Cho: Why being involved is worth it for you

Get involved: Being involved continues to open doors and help me build relationships. I’ve met friends and exemplary academic/life advisors. In fact, one of the things I composed within the 2012 Freshman Convocation script was: Outstanding academic advisors made a huge positive difference in my academic career by helping me navigate through the many opportunities available in college

No kidding: Frog's leg!
Additionally, by being involved, I was given the opportunity to travel (all expenses paid) to New Orleans, LA with UAA’s Architecture and Engineering Club (AE Club). Mind you, I am majoring in Biology. Nevertheless, I quickly learned that the AE Club is open to all majors. During our two week stay, we built houses with Habitat for Humanity (full-time) and toured the city whenever we weren’t on the worksite. As someone who does not have the ability to travel often, this trip was a wonderful change of pace, location, and climate. At first the humidity and heat was off-setting and unusual, but I grew to love it.



Even more amazing: Gator!
The trip to New Orleans brought me face-to-face with hard labor—an experience I think is of high value and importance. I, likely, would not have experienced hard labor otherwise. We chowed down on alligator and frog legs; went to the local zoo, aquarium, and art museum; saw the National WWII museum; traveled to Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida…. All in all, this trip and the experiences were unforgettable.

Conclusion: Yes, being involved takes time and effort away from academics. At the same time, it continues to open doors and build relationships while broadening my life experiences and perspectives of the world. Being involved continues to enrich my life and provide me with overwhelmingly rewarding opportunities outside of the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment