Friday, September 7, 2012

'I have this friend, let's call her 'Miranda'...'


One of my close friends (we’ll call her “Miranda”) asked me how I balance life, extra-curricular activities, and school. Miranda said that, while in school, she can’t do other things (i.e. extra curricular activities) without having them fall apart. I have friends who feel the same way. If you resonate with Miranda, I hope this post sheds light on an alternative perspective. Here is my response to her: 

I think everyone's lives are different. You certainly have things that I don't have to worry about: a husband; maintaining a home as a wife; cooking, cleaning...etc. for yourself and him; paying rent and other bills...all of which take time and energy. So you ARE doing other things outside of school. If I had to do all the domestic things you do, I don't know if I'd be able to manage school, extracurricular activities, and life either!

Secret to success? I don't know if I have one, but I'll try. Time management. That may mean a small-scale social life; sacrificing time away from family
and friends; going to school (and other places) looking a hot-mess; not dressing up (i.e. t-shirt, jeans, and sneakers); not dealing with laundry/cleaning even if I really want to do it; cutting corners where I can to save time (i.e. instead of long 30 minute showers, I've learned to take 10 minute ones to save time, for example). Sometimes it sucks, but seeing where the sacrifices take me overwhelmingly overrides any negative sentiments in the long run.
Blockheater giveaway for Sustainability!

I also draw a lot of inspiration, energy, and renewal from my religion, community service, and support group (my family, close friends, academic advisors who I also consider friends)--all of which help me feel revived. My support group members get me in the right mindset and are there for me when I am down--even if it means just listening.


I am sure no one just “does school” all day and every day. Every one has other occurrences in their lives to balance. What helps me balance the act is time management, activities I find refreshing, and a strong support group.

--Theresa

No comments:

Post a Comment